The Most Influential Anime Studios
The most influential anime studio in the world is Studio Ghibli. Over the years, this studio has amassed a legion of fans and loyal followers and has become one of the most iconic names in animation.
This is no small feat considering that the studio Ghibli was formed just over thirty years ago with the help of none other than Hayao Miyazaki. The studio has created some of the most famous anime movies to date, such as Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Howl’s Moving Castle, My Neighbors the Yamadas, and many more.
Hana-Bana. The most famous of these anime shorts is simply a must see. The film is one of the best anime ever made and is an absolute joy to watch.
What can you expect from Studio Ghibli? Here are some of the other most influential anime studios of all time:
- Toei Animation – Toei Animation is the name of Japan’s most famous animation studio. They have produced several notable anime movies and television shows. You can expect to see some of their anime classics such as Toei Animation features such as the ones mentioned above as well as Akira.
- Nippon Animation – The more famous of this studio is of course Nippon Animation. Nippon Animation has produced several of the most famous and popular animated TV series of all time, such as Garzey’s Wing, Tetsuwan Atom, Tenchi Muyo!, and more.
- Tokyo Animation – The original name of this studio is Tokyo Animation. The studio was originally created as a joint venture between Tatsunoko Productions and Tokyo Disney to make animated films and TV series. Madhouse – Some of the most influential animated movies of all time came from this studio. One of the best and most notable of these films is probably the movie, Dead Man, which is a live action adaptation of the classic Yojimbo.
- Sekai – Sekai was founded by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and Takeshi Matsu. They decided to combine their talents to produce animated movies and TV series and eventually created such classics as Porco Rosso, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Kill la Kill.
- Studio A-1 Pictures – The most famous anime of all time is most definitely the Japanese animation film known as Neon Genesis Evangelion. In this film, Shinji Ikari is reborn into the body of a baby and is forced to pilot a giant robot called EVA, which he calls home.
A list of the most influential anime would not be complete without mentioning Studio Nue – the master of the OVA genre. The most influential anime movies are not just limited to ones mentioned above, as there are still many others that deserve recognition.
What Makes a Studio Influential?
What makes an anime studio influential is a question frequently asked by anime enthusiasts. However, the question becomes even more complex when considering both how influential a studio is and how much influence it can actually have. For a studio to be influential, it must have a certain level of clout that can turn on people who may not otherwise make anime shows. Here are some of the characteristics of the studios that influence anime fans.
- – The quality of the production is the first characteristic of the studios that can influence anime fans. In a sense, quality means that it is considered great. In other words, it is respected by the masses. Such studios can set standards for animation and filmmaking that other studios should follow.
- – Studios that are respected may cause other studios to emulate their efforts. For example, Studio Ghibli was well known for producing great quality. What made them famous was their tendency to make films that had a similar style to other anime shows. Now there are other studios that follow this practice as well. This makes it easier for anime fans to recognize studios that have great quality and should be copied.
- – The materials produced by the studios that influence anime may also influence anime fans. As anime moves from one country to another, it is usually exchanged for DVDs or tapes. When these items are adapted into different languages, many anime fans will enjoy watching the anime based on the material translated.
- – The art of animating is also very important to these studios. Anime producers take a lot of pride in the look of their shows. They will make changes to the look of their anime shows in order to get the most attention possible.
- – If a studio is very influential, it can be called influential. This does not necessarily mean that they are the only ones that are influential, however. They may influence other studios as well.
- – As anime production progresses, the number of animators who are on staff increases. As more people enter the industry, it is not surprising that there will be more influences as well. There is the potential for more creativity in anime animation, which can mean that more people will appreciate it.
- – The number of studios also increases. When something new comes out, there will be more studios working on it. In essence, anime production means that more people are getting involved. These new anime are usually more popular than their predecessors.
- – Fans who are anime enthusiasts tend to be loyal to the studios that they have become fans of. Some fans become so attached to a particular studio that they make their lives centered around it. These anime fans are constantly making sure that they are aware of what the current studios are producing. Some fans even purchase items related to the studios.
What makes an anime studio influential is not the sum of its parts. For example, a number of important features can influence fans, but not all of them.
For every influence a studio has, there is a distinct line that separates the influence from the actual influence. It is difficult to distinguish the difference between real influence and mere fan or fake influence. So, don’t be surprised if you find out that the studio you used to like is not influential after all. The quality of the production will probably be good, but the main influence is probably just something like another studio’s products.